- 100% no China imports (watch out for high price differences)
- Our products are mostly made in Germany
- High quality at the best prices.
- TOP rating & service
|Country and Region of Production:
||Metal element 57
|Name, symbol, ordinal number:
||Lanthanum, La, 57
||920 ° C
||6,162 g / cm3
||3464 ° C
Lanthanum is a soft, malleable, ductile, silver-white metal. Lanthanum occurs naturally in sediments: it oxidizes quickly in the air and reacts with water to form the hydroxide. It is the second most reactive of the rare earth metals after europium. Lanthanum is commercially concentrated by crystallizing ammonium lanthanum nitrate. Ion exchange and solvent extraction processes are used when high purity is desired. The metal is produced by electrolysis of molten anhydrous halides or by metallothermal reduction of its halides by alkali or alkaline earth metals (e.g. reduction of the fluoride with calcium).
Areas of application:
- Lanthanum metal has no commercial uses. However, its alloys have a wide variety of uses. A lanthanum-nickel alloy is used to store hydrogen gas for use in hydrogen-powered vehicles. Lanthanum is also found in the anode of nickel-metal hydride batteries used in hybrid cars.
- Lanthanum is an important component of the mixed metal alloy (approx. 20%). The best known use for this alloy is in flint for lighters.
- "Rare earth" compounds containing lanthanum are widely used in carbon lighting applications such as studio lighting and cinema projection. They increase the brightness and produce an emission spectrum similar to that of sunlight.